Friday 9 October 2009

Heroes

So I read out the poem at my friend's wedding. I was so nervous, I was shaking, but it was amazing. As in, it was an amazing experience, not that I was amazing. My hand was shaking but I tried to rad it as best I could in front of 400 people. And my lil brother filmed me on his phone. I think quite a few people did, which isnt a very nice thought. But such is modern technology I'm afraid. The acousitcs in the hall were quite bad, but it still worked, and it was a beautiful setting. I was up on a balcony with the bride, groom, cake and chocoalte cups (yum) and it felt really special. I'm so glad I could do something cool for my friends on their wedding day, they deserve every happiness. They've been through so much. Inshallah they will live happily ever after. I started crying when my friend's dad brought her into the hall after the nikkah. It just shook me inside. The ruksati...well I was ok but thats another story. The favour biscuits went down well with tea for breakfast the next morning though :) Shame I dodnt get a picture of them. I got some really cool shots though, quite pleased with them. The whole weekend was amazing. Some great memories there, which will be with us for years. Happy times to draw on and be grateful for when things get tough.

A few people came up to me afterwords to tell me how good it was, which was so sweet. The best was one little girl, who must have been about 8 or 9 came up to me and was like 'Oh my I just loved your poem, its better than mine adn my sister's all the other poems I've written, it was great!' with a big grin and two thumbs up. !!!!! How cute is that, so sweet. I was so humbled. And then I had a conversation with her all about the poem and the wedding, at which point the dj started up, so we went on to speak about dancing, and I encouraged her to get on the dance floor and have some fun. Thinking about this later, I realised ooopps, not meant to be encouraging young girls to be doing that. So I thought, hopefully, she'll get it all out of her system now, so when she hits puberty and beyond its not a big deal. Or that cos she's still a kid, it doesnt count anyways. But what if she gets a taste for it and keeps up the dancing and then Im held accountable cos I was the one who encouraged her and its all my fault. Oooopps! Astaghfirullah. And then I met a friend from college who I hadn't seen since I was 18 and we lost touch and it was just too good to see her again and I got all excited and forgot about it. So you can see my conundrum.

I've just realised how chunky my paragraphs are, and they really need to be broken down, but I'm going to leave them. They are but thoughts after all.

Its been such a busy week. been out every night after work, and am seriously sleep deprived. Its been fun though, and I plan to spend saturday in hibernation. Zzzz.

It was National Poetry Day at work the other day, and there was a competition for the best poem, the theme being heroes. One for students and one for staff. I really wanted to write soemthign for the staff competition, but had like zero insppiration or ideas. So I jotted some notes and random thoughts down, and here's what I came up with. I thought it was a bit crap but a friend told me he loved it, which made me go all warm and fuzzy inside :) Anyways, here it is. Make of it what you will, and anyone who is reading this feel free to leave your comments.



Without an atlas, you found a way. Straying from the path, you found a new one.



Its not blood that binds us; cells and molecules,


Related by something deeper.



From one of us, chosen amongst us,


An orphan lost, searching for home.


Fought the battle, as it rages on, soldiers are weaker, the enemy snowballs. But you won the peace,



Of my heart

Peace is with you.



The desire to be with you, to share water with you.


Faith in you, and your faith in me. As the moon splits and the mountains move, boulders turn to wisps of cotton.


Arid desert, dry. To severity and harshness you brought serenity; luscious green.


Darkness though to light, arrogance to gratitude,


Thorns in your path, nor blood, nor words, nor derision hindered you. You still found me.



You, because you’ve always been there.


Held up the sky, kept the rain out.


Endure valiantly, noble in the face of oppression.


Maintain your dignity, fought with resilience, caged in.


Lead from danger to safety, the innocent depend on you, guiding though the mines,


Under fire. Unsung.


True love and knowledge,


Promises have been kept, the trust will never be broken.



1 comment:

  1. Love it.. I'm not a poet and I have so much respect for those who can write poetry. Love the imagery, love the words you chose, the rhythm... Sigh.

    ReplyDelete