Friday 25 September 2009

Surprise Poem for a Friend's Wedding

There is a field out beyond right and wrong, where wisdom resides.

I will meet you there. Perhaps a meadow, under which rivers flow,

Shaded by palms, fountains and stars. I will meet you there.

Where there is you, where there is me; where we need not be perfect, for perfection already exists.

Where there is you , where there is me, and it is worth it.

Where coolness cleanses our eyes,

Tranquility for our minds, peace in our hearts, serenity in our souls.

With the sturdiness of a rock;

The steadfastness of a mountain,

Patient in the dessert, holding on to the essence,

Searching for the One.

Searching for the One,

In each other’s eyes, through each other’s souls, the promise has been agreed.

May our embrace, and let our mercy,

Lead us to One.

Through mountains and meadows,

From great heights and shallow waters; tempestuous oceans and testing waves,

Serene sunsets, along autumnal hues, spring time blossom.

May you glide on wings of hope and fear, guided by your love, towards divine grace.

Let us not be entangled by days, by nights, by this world.

We have another space, we have another time.

I will meet you there.





I wrote this to read at one of the events of a very close friend's wedding. I've known her since secondary school, thats most of my life. Its a surprise, I really hope she likes it.

I've taken some bits from Rumi and Iqbal, and even some words from the Quran and hadith. Then I added some bits of my own. Some of it I had already written before and put in another friend's wedding card, but I thought it would still be ok to include it here. Now I'm scared that I have to read it out infront of about 60 people. No learning objective and no plenary, those listening can make of it what they will. Its kind of like my dua too. I hope the poem, and surprise, go down well.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem. Interesting choice however for a wedding. Maybe my cynicism lended this poem to be more about love through darkness, time and perhaps, after life. It made me feel like this is a lost love- a love that can no longer breath in this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Its interesting to see what you read into the poem and your interpretation. Thats why poetry and language is so great:)

    My intentions when writing this were to describe a love that transcends this world, and carries us to the next. The kind of love that Allah has for us, and we should have for Him. Maybe it was my sufi side coming out. Or the kind of relationship that has been destined, from the time when we as human beings made our convenant with Allah. The kind of love that is more than this world we know.

    ReplyDelete