Saturday 6 February 2010

Can You Meet Me Halfway (I'm Too Young to Get Married Part 3)

So what’s the deal with relationships? Family, or friendships, or colleagues or neighbors or acquaintances or friends of friends and their halves and etc etc. and then that one big relationship. This two way thing. This thing where it’s not just about you anymore. There’s someone else there; there with their own mood, their own temperament, their own thoughts and feelings and ways and means. What happened to me, myself and I? Where your whims and desires were catered for? Where your mood dictated the day, and vice versa. Now there are two. And whenever there is more than one, there will be politics. Catering to that, and remembering that, and thinking not just of yourself. Responsibilities are now more concentrated, more intent, simply because there is someone else to think about, and it’s not just about you anymore. Sometimes, this is why we are single for so long. Cos it can just get well long. Especially when your heart is in it too. Everything else is easy.


And the mood thing, when you have to tailor your mood to the other mood. You can’t be quiet, just. You can’t be moody, just. Your moods can directly or indirectly affect the other mood. And it can be positive or it can be negative. And one can bounce off the other, and rebound, and hit back again. Sometimes you can’t even be tired. It’s not a Hollywood romcom or a bollywood love story, its real life.

I’m not talkative. Or chatty. Or full of conversation and things to say. I’m just not. I’m not empty either, it’s all inside. Introverted and internalized. Its jut the way I am, the way I have had to be. And now to de-programme myself, to take a 180 degree turn, is not easy; to be open and readable and vocal and it may not happen. And then what? Will you get tired? Will you turn away?

And when we get closer, both emotionally and physically and mentally, where are you? Are you still in your space, or are you in mine? Or have we crossed the line that defined space and time? That line, metaphorical as it may be, changes in shape, in size, its hues and nuances of strength and forbearance. Where am I now? Pulling me closer and pushing me away. Pulling you closer and pushing you away. The walls and the borders are crumbling slowly, bit by bit. But that push strengthens them, build them up again. Perhaps they may be easier to break down again, as it’s just been done, or perhaps it’ll be even harder, as they have just been reinforced.

Meet me halfway, right at the borderline

That's where I’m gonna wait, for you
I'll be lookin out, night n'day

Took my heart to the limit, and this is where I’ll stay
I can't go any further then this
I want you so bad it's my only wish

No comments:

Post a Comment