Saturday 27 February 2010

I am Able, Gifted and Talented

I feel rather empowered. Confident and sure of myself, my capabilities, my potential. I am proud of myself. I feel like I am a professional in my own right. This feeling is fleeting, and too few and far in between life as we know it, so I am going to bask, and glow, and make the most of it. Life will be back to same old same old by tomorrow, but till then, I’m enjoying this. And I am going to be grateful for it.
There was a position going for the post of AGT coordinator. That basically means sorting out the provision for students who are exceptionally talented in any area of school, any subject. The role itself involves a lot; it’s a whole school responsibility. I could go on about the role but I’m just going to paste the job description here:

• Audit current levels of provision for G&T within the school and develop strategies for improvement;
• Maintain a register of able, gifted and talented pupils within the school and update biannually;
• Identify and disseminate good practice in developing the abilities of able, gifted and talented pupils;
• Keep abreast of new resources and initiative developments for G&T students and disseminate this information to Heads of Faculty/Heads of Department;
• Act at the “champion” of able, gifted and talented pupils within the school by creating and sustaining positive attitudes towards them and ensuring that provision for able, gifted and talented pupils is kept at the heart of the school’s agenda for developing learning and teaching;
• Work alongside the SLT line manager for G&T to ensure appropriate Borough and DCSF documentation is produced on time

As you can see, dear anonymous cyber reader if you are indeed there, it’s rather quite extensive. Almost like a head of faculty role I’ve been told. And this is the second version – nobody applied for the first as it was too much work. I even told a member of SLT that I thought so, and it was then that they reduced it. Nay, not reduced, more of a condensation, or summarization if you like. English is my subject and I’m a smarty-pants, so I know these things. Ha.

So I went for it, and the interview was ok…some of my answers got a hmm and some got a big grin. When I asked them my questions, turned out hardly any timetable allocation was being made, no training, no negotiating on the (pitiful, sorry lowest) TLR and a start on Monday. Monday! The interview was on Thursday! They asked me if I were offered the role would I accept, and I replied saying I needed some time to consider it. I was then told then I had to decide there and then, as the decision was to be made that evening. I then graciously and politely as I could said that I think it’s an amazing role and opportunity, but without the adequate time table allocation I wouldn't be able to perform the job to the best of my ability, and feeling about it as I do (I do genuinely think it’s a really important and much required role) I thank you for your time but am withdrawing my application. There was some silence and then conversation started up again, and I was told I’d still get feedback on my interview performance, which will probably happen next week.

Basically, it’s a massive role. Anyone who works in a school, or education, will know this. They are not valuing it, or the person doing it, as they should. It’s the same TLR I am on now, but it’s a whole school responsibility. My responsibility is only faculty based at the moment. It’s not just about the money though. How cans someone do such a huge role with no training whatsoever, and start in two days?! And time allocation – it wouldn’t have been instead of what I do now, it’s would have been on top of everything. So I withdrew and it felt great! If you can’t recognize my worth, or those of the students, then I will, they at least deserve better than that. And this is in no way a downer on the person who got the job – all the best to you, and I mean that sincerely.

During the interview I was asked about my ideas for raising the profile of AGT students, and as I reeled them off, you could see one of the interviewer’s eyebrows rising higher and higher, and smile getting wider and wider. Now I know I won’t be getting any credit for these ideas, but that’s ok. I do feel sorry for the poor sod who will actually have to realize them; great as they were, they were also a lot of hard work!

I have been thinking about my career recently – where I want it to go, how long for, if I should move schools, if I should change altogether, if I should pack up and travel around the world…inshallah. Starting back at the bottom of another career wouldn’t be that bad cos I’m still young, but it’s the decision making and stability and the rest of it. Here’s a little quote from a speech in the film Coach Carter, cheesy but you gotta love it. Must always be positive.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

I'd also quite like someone to revamp this blog for me and make it look cool and pretty and orange-tree reflective...any takers?!

1 comment:

  1. I've always known that you're talented and successful :D Well done on smashing the interview and keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete